Young Parent Payment and Youth Payment
If you’re 20 and a parent, you may also be eligible.
This part of our service provides support to help you with the benefit and your obligations.
Ready to find out more?
To enrol in our service, you must apply to Work and Income for a Youth Payment (YP) or a Young Parent Payment (YPP) benefit. Your application will be sent to the Youth Service Support Unit for approval, and from there you will be referred to a Youth Service Provider like Solomon Group.
If your benefit is approved you’ll get a Youth Coach who will keep supporting you, including helping you to meet your benefit obligations.
For more information, check out Youth Service website
How we help young parents
If you have kids, you have extra demands on your time and energy. You may need help meeting those demands as well as all the usual stresses of work, study and making ends meet. We can help you:
- Identify your goals
- Get into education or training that fits with your family
- Recognise the barriers in your way
- Manage your money and learn how to budget
- Find somewhere affordable and safe to live
- Get your child into a preschool while you train
- Enrol your child at a medical centre or with a doctor
- Find a Well Child provider, like Plunket
- Learn basic parenting and childcare through the Parenting Toolbox
- Link to other services you or your family may need
- Keep an eye on your progress and help you stay on track with your goals
How we help Youth Payment clients
If you are leaving or have left school without qualifications or skills to get a job, and you’re living on a Youth Payment benefit, we can help you.
Parenting and Budgeting courses
We run courses about setting goals, particularly for personal finances. Many former clients see these courses as the most helpful part of our programme. The skills you learn can make reaching other goals a lot easier. Here is one client’s feedback:
"Writing down the pros and cons so I can be prepared for what is going to happen was helpful. Now I can look forward to all the positive outcomes."
Doing budgeting and parenting courses gives you the skills to reach your goals and create lasting positive outcomes for the future.